Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Tenants: Be On Time for Your Showings. Find Out Why.


One of the most common problems a Landlord faces is late or cancelled appointments or no-shows. This is why the my most important test of a potential tenant is, “Are they on time for an appointment?”

Why?

Because someone that does not value people’s time will not value getting their rent paid on time.

I can tell you this advice after placing over a hundred tenants. This screening method works 90% to 100% of the time.

The first time I figured this out was with a student that I placed. She kept rescheduling or just not showing up for showings. And when she showed up she was in such a rush that I had no time to screen her with typical questions (this should have been my first clue of a potential problem).

She ended up renting a place and again was postponing getting the deposit to me. She figured her time was worth more than mine and I should be running around the city to collect this. The upshot is she was late on EVERY payment and I had to attend the property an average of three times to collect. And to top it off, she cut her lease 4 months early.

Lesson: Be on time for all showings. If you are going to be late, CALL! Value a Landlord’s time as you would value your own.

Landlord Advice: I call to confirm appointments. I will wait 15 minutes for a potential tenant at which time I will call them. If they forgot about the appointment, are not reachable or are running more than 10 more minutes, I CANCEL and will not show them anymore property. Each appointment can cost as much as $50 to arrange and I am not in the habit of throwing time and money away! Neither should you.

No comments:

Post a Comment